Re: The state of suburban theology

From: bivalve <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com>
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 18:36:31 EDT

>Then we could reflect on the preparedness of "the suburban pulpit" to bring the fruits of "informed
> theology" to the folks in the pew.

A complicating factor is the overgeneralization of "suburban pulpits". Different denominations and different churches have disparate criteria for being a pastor, ranging from "is he popular with the congregation?" to extensive theological examination. Perception of the needs of the congregation will also have an impact.

As an example, the church I attended in Chapel Hill/Durham, N.C. would certainly qualify as "suburban" in its neigborhood, but the congregation is predominantly associated with either a university or a relatively high-tech job in the Research Triangle area. Not surprisingly, there's more theological emphasis there than average.

The success of "either design or evolution" claims shows that deistic thinking is rampant in the culture in general, including the church.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics