Re: The state of suburban theology

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Sat Jun 12 2004 - 12:58:47 EDT

On Friday, June 11, 2004, at 03:07 PM, Howard J. Van Till quoted:

> "Deism was the compromise which religion made with mechanism. It was
> really
> no more than a transparent frock put over the ugly skeleton of a
> mechanistic
> universe.... It should have been torn to shreds. Instead the garment
> has
> been preserved, at least in bits and pieces, by much of traditional
> religion
> to this day. This has happened despite the fact that informed theology
> has
> completely disposed of it. And that is the tragedy of our time. The
> thinking
> that comes out of informed theological circles today has scarcely an
> echo
> from the suburban pulpit. Suburban theology is one hundred years out of
> date. If you want to be informed on these matters, you have a much
> better
> chance by picking up a few paperbacks in any bookshop than by
> listening from
> the pews."

I wonder what "informed theology" has replaced deism with. That might
have something to do with whether "suburban theology" accepts "informed
theology" or not.

I have from time to time heard pastors complain that they can't teach
any theology that is informed by science because their congregation
won't stand for it.

Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148