RE: Shapes of a Wedge

From: Don Perrett <donperrett@genesisproclaimed.org>
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 04:10:44 EDT

George:
    Logical as that may be, I think it unlikely that approval of homosexual
marriages will lead to approval of bestiality, primarily because most people
look on it with considerable disgust. Besides, the fact that one "partner"
in such a relationship is not a moral agent and that such a relationship
could not be consensual in the usual sense would make it hard to establish a
case for bestiality - which doesn't mean that some people on the fringes
might not try.

Don P:
Fro now, I agree. But least we forget that gonorrhea started out with sex
between animals and humans. Also, you are assuming that those involved care
about emotions as Some would advocate. Unfortunately, not all subscribe to
such constrictions. That includes heterosexuals. It's funny that most
humans are so narrow-sighted that we only see that which is front of us.
This can be a good thing when trying to accomplish a goal. But, when trying
to accomplish an objective larger than themselves, i.e. God's Will, we fail
to see what problems come from it. Just as with the use of oil. Of course
going back to the basics helps. we forget those as Christians, because most
think of the OT as a study guide, instead of as a way of living.

Don P

    I think it more likely that acceptance of homosexual marriage will lead
to challenges to laws against polygamy and incestuous marriages between
adults. There the argument is somewhat different. If the definition of
marriage is to be changed in such a non-traditional way as to encompass
same-sex relationships, what cogent arguments can be presented against
polygamous and incestuous marriages, especially since they (unlike same-sex
marriages) do have traditional support in some cultures? (More for polygamy
than incest of course but the latter class is not vacuous.)

    I don't think that this means that there should be no recognition of
same-sex unions, but it does argue for distinguishing them clearly from
marriage. Even that, however, may be only an ineffective paper barrier.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/