Re: Refreshing

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 15:12:47 EDT

    Debbie
    ...and based on my experience, the further one explores, the longer the list of unanswered questions grows - not because one cannot find answers, but because so many new questions arise. I've been at this a long time, initially just living with some conclusions that were either unaddressed in my church setting, or in many cases at variance with generally held opinions in my local community of faith. In more recent years, I've been more driven to reach a more comprehensive internal congruity in my "belief system", ...more questions, more differences, more glosses and pat answers that won't do, ...even back to that non-trivial childhood question about those in the past who never heard about Christ.

    One big paradigm change came when I was able to reframe the idea of "doubt" into "honest inquiry". Overall, I'd have to say that no matter how rewarding they have been, the explorations have been downright unsettling at times, ...in some cases BIG TIME! There are even some dimensions of deep sadness and loneliness that may be encountered, ...and it takes so-o-o much time to sort these things out!! But these ideas have ultimately sustained me: (1) I believe that the explorations spring from a God-given capacity to seek Him, and to analyze, think, intuit, imagine, and "hear" in some spiritual way, (2)I have really taken to heart that God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him, (3) as never before, I am aware that I am completely dependent upon God's mercy and grace, and (4) even with my best efforts and intent, I'm certain that I've got some of it wrong, and for that reason must cut both myself and my fellow travellers some slack in the specifics of our pilgrimages.

    Fellow explorers are scattered, but they're around. Some have just hunkered down in their local church settings (often in children's work!), but others are finding a voice. If you listen carefully, you'll find them, and I guarantee that some of them will surprise you! Others fortunately congregate in places (virtual and otherwise) like the ASA thread. Their perspectives and company are informative and reassuring, even when challenging in their diversity.

    In my case, this quest eventually resulted in a change from a life-long church affiliation. On the one hand it was painful, but on the other a great relief to find a new community whose views and conscious expression is more in tune with the current revision of "me". I realized that it had been a long time since I was able to relax in fellowship and celebration with my local community of faith - isn't that odd in retrospect?

    Press on! We live in a great time with great challenges and greater opportunities (and resources!)!

    Jim Armstrong

    Debbie Mann wrote:

    "As far as my position on the Bible - it is only in the last year or so that
    I have allowed myself to have questions. Many still remain unanswered...."

    [different posting]