Re: Common Descent: From Monkey To Man

From: Josh Bembenek (jbembe@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 12:13:49 EDT

    Dr. Campbell et al.,

    > >Well, if that's true, it only shows what a difference 1.24% can make.
    > >(Ain't nobody out there who doesn't know the difference.)
    > >Here's a story you might want to check out:
    > >http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992833
    > >The difference could be more than you think, depending on what you choose
    >to COUNT as a difference.<
    >
    >Part of the question is what you are able to count, as well as choice. The
    >in gene sequences. The news story cites other kinds of differences, which
    >are only recently measurable.

    -The most interesting part of this is not actually the *degree of change*
    but the *pattern of change*. The hypothesis is that areas of the chromosome
    that are inverted are no longer able to recombine, and thus become a
    cassette that can be mutated and separate the individual carrying the
    particular region from others. By accumulating a series of inversions/
    recombination protected areas, genes would change in that area and be unable
    to interchange with the rest of the population, causing speciation. The
    interesting part is that when comparing monkeys to man, the inversions have
    a higher rate of differences, consistent with the hypothesis.

    Josh