Re: Common Descent: From Monkey To Man

From: Josh Bembenek (jbembe@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 14:30:11 EDT

    Another FYI about the *degree* of disimilarity. Forgive the odd formatting,
    I copied it from Nature.

    Josh

    Human Genome Organisation Meeting,
    Cancun, Mexico, April 2003

    Chimps expose humanness
    Preliminary genome comparison points to primate individuality.

    HELEN PEARSON
    may be only 94% the same as
    By studying chimpanzees, scientists are honing their genetic view of
              humanity, researchers told this week's meeting of the Human Genome
    Organisation in Cancun, Mexico.

    A group presented the first detailed comparison between a large chunk of
                  human DNA and the equivalent from our closest relative. The
    genetic make-up of chimpanzee chromosome 22 is hot off the press, having
    just been sequenced, and matches human chromosome 21.

    The data call for some revision of the estimated genetic similarity
             between us and our closest relatives. Previously, human and chimp
    genetic sequences were quoted as being nearly 99%
    identical, with a difference of only a few DNA's letters. In fact, the
    similarity may be as low as 94-95%, says Todd Taylor of the RIKEN Genomic
    Sciences Center in Yokohama, Japan.

    Taylor's team factors in whole segments that they found to have been
              added to or subtracted from one of the genomes; previous estimates
    were often produced by comparing smaller areas. "There's still not a good
    way to say how much we're similar," admits Taylor.

    It is not yet clear how these rearrangements and single-letter changes
                underlie 'human' characteristics such as talking, abstract
    thinking and certain diseases. But, "if we want to find the
    very fine differences that make us human we have to look at our closest
    relative", Taylor says.

    The team found that one gene that is linked to Alzheimer's disease - a
                brain disorder that does not seem to afflict chimps - produces a
    slightly different protein in chimps from the corresponding
    human version. In all, around 16% of genes in the compared
    sequences have such variations.

    The completed human genetic sequence is not enough to tell us everything
    about ourselves

    Yoshiyuki Sakaki
    HUGO

    Another good example, says geneticist Stephen Scherer of the Hospital
               for Sick Children in Toronto, was found last year in a gene
    called FOXP2 , which seems to control human language. Chimpanzees have two
    key changes in the gene, which may prevent them from articulating
           speech.

    Taylor's is one of two international groups that are now working their
                way through the chimpanzee's genome. They also hope to pinpoint
    cases in which, although chimp and human genes are very similar, they are
    active at different times or places in the body.

    Researchers announced only last week that they have largely completed
               the human genetic sequence. But "it's not enough to tell us
    everything about ourselves", says Human Genome Organisation
    president Yoshiyuki Sakaki, also at the RIKEN genome centre.