Re: "Design up to Scratch?" (The Wit and Wisdom of Michael Roberts)

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 20:10:20 EDT

    I wrote >> I do not know that Behe has intentionally implied that conclusion. However, many of his readers (or at least endorsers) have perceived his work as supporting their own adherence to this fallacy. Johnson and others have explicitly endorsed it.<<

    I should qualify this to note that Johnson has also explicitly rejected this fallacy, but persists in using it.

    Iain wrote > But also, your description of "punctuated deism"; is this not more a description of "progressive creation", rather than Intelligent Design?<

    I see ID, as currently advocated by Behe, Johnson, etc. as an example of progressive creation. Behe advocates relatively few intervention-style creation events; Johnson and Wells somewhat more but still seemingly less than every species independently created.

        Dr. David Campbell
        Old Seashells
        University of Alabama
        Biodiversity & Systematics