RE: "Design up to Scratch?" (The Wit and Wisdom of Michael Roberts)

From: Alexanian, Moorad (alexanian@uncw.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 26 2003 - 13:31:45 EDT

    The following my be of interest to this thread, which I posted in another list, and deals with Romans 1 and the "detection" of God or intelligence behind the creation.

    "Humans can imagine existence outside of spacetime. Nevertheless, we are embedded in our spacetime and it is inconceivable to think of physically going out of our spacetime. However, one must distinguish between the physical aspect of humans and their nonphysical aspect----consciousness and rationality. Physical theories of nature, although derived with the aid of human consciousness and rationality, are devoid of them. Hence, it is impossible to infer from physical data the existence of anything outside our spacetime. Notice that even in physical theories that invoke multiple universes, the same would be true. It is human intelligence, the nonphysical, which actually allows us to conceive existence outside of our spacetime. Therefore, the detection of intelligence behind nature must come via the intelligence that we know that exists in humans. Therefore, when Paul infers from nature that there is an intelligence behind nature, it must be done via a human realizing that in s!
    ome sense he/she is God-like, being created in the image of God."

    Moorad