Re: No death before the fall theology

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 16:59:40 EDT

    It has always seemed a little strange to me that the idea of no death
    before the Fall should have become some sort of litmus test for orthodoxy.
    Back before 1961 when I was growing up, evangelicals held the notes in
    Scofield's Bible (the first version) in very high esteem. (This was a
    major factor in the rise of dispensationalism in evangelical circles.) It
    was very widely used. Scofield was a proponent of the gap version of
    creation. I don't believe in this mostly discarded theory, but I would
    point out that it proposed that Satan's fall ruined the previous creation,
    and that the creation in Genesis 1 was a restoration of the previous one.
    Thus most of the fossils were supposed to be of creatures that perished in
    Satan's fall (before the fall of man). Thus these highly revered notes
    implied that there was death before the Fall, and I don't recall that any
    evangelicals accused Scofield of failing a litmus test for orthodoxy.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado
    Boulder, CO 80309-0395