RE: No death before the fall theology

From: Stephen J. Krogh (panterragroup@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 14:15:15 EDT

    Hugh Ross has some interesting essays.

    http://www.reasons.org/resources/apologetics/creature_mortality.shtml?main

    Also from Hugh Ross: Creation and Time, pg 60:

    Romans 5:12 says, "Sin entered the world through one man, and death through
    sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned." Some
    interpret this as implying that no death of any kind occurred before the sin
    of Adam, and, hence, only a few days could possibly have transpired from the
    creation of the first life forms to the sin of Adam. However, the absence
    of physical death would pose just as much a problem for three 24-hour days
    as it would for three billion years. Many species of life cannot survive
    hours without food, and the mere ingestion of food requires at least the
    death of plants or plant parts. Recognizing the problems of reading Romans
    5:12 as a statement about physical death, others have interpreted the verse
    as meaning "soulish" death. In the Genesis creation account, distinctions
    are made between physical animals (invertebrates and lower vertebrates),
    soulish animals (birds and mammals), and spirit beings (man). The
    difficulty with this adjusted view is that soulish animals are not condemned
    to "death through sin." Of all life on Earth, only man earned the title
    "sinner." The key point is that Romans 5:12 is addressing neither physical
    nor soulish death. When Adam sinned, he instantly "died", just as God said
    he would; "In the day you eat of it, you shall surely die" - Gen. 2:17. Yet
    he remained alive physically and soulishly. He died spiritually. He lost
    his fellowship with God and gained a natural inclination to defy God. Gen. 3
    records that after Adam died "spiritually" through sin, and then God sent an
    angel to block his access to the Tree of Life.

    Stephen J. Krogh, P.G.
    The PanTerra Group
    http://panterragroup.home.mindspring.com