RE: No death before the fall theology

From: Hofmann, Jim (jhofmann@exchange.fullerton.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 13:57:26 EDT

    I've found these two useful:

    http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2000/PSCF9-00Emberger.html

    http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/1999/PSCF12-99Menninga.html

    Jim Hofmann
    http://nsmserver2.fullerton.edu/departments/chemistry/evolution_creation
    /web/

    -----Original Message-----
    From: douglas.hayworth@perbio.com [mailto:douglas.hayworth@perbio.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 10:47 AM
    To: asa@calvin.edu
    Subject: No death before the fall theology

    Hello friends:

    Can anyone point me to a good reference that specifically addresses the
    creationist theological assertion that no scientific theory or theology
    can
    be valid if it allows for there to be physical death before the fall?

    It seems that conservative christians are unwilling to allow for any
    ideas
    about science/creation that might result in a slippery slope affecting
    this
    doctrine. I myself cannot fathom how the physical creation could
    possibly
    not include death at all times in it existence since it has included
    life
    (whether or not you think that it evolved sensu Van Till's RFEP, as I
    do,
    or that it was created in six days with all the current species and
    components in place. And, theologically, I don't see how the absence of
    physical death before the fall is necessary to an otherwise fully
    conventional, reformed, and solid christian theology about the
    consequences
    for sin. Isn't the salient consequence of sin in fact spiritual
    separation
    from God and his eternal life for us in heaven?

    I'm not looking for scientific arguments against this
    no-death-before-fall
    (NDBF) view. Rather, I need help putting together strictly theological
    arguments and a articulating a overall theology that affirms solid
    christian theology without NDBF. As I've alluded to in previous posts,
    I've been searching for a church home here in Rockford, IL, and have
    been
    having difficulty finding a church that is serious and vibrant in its
    christian faith while able to tolerate (even appreciate!) diversity
    about
    issues of evolution and science, not to mention politics. I'm
    conservative
    in theology without being a biblical literalist, so I have to believe
    that
    there are others like me somewhere in this city of 250,000! One church
    I'm
    considering seems promising in certain ways, and I anticipate a lunch
    meeting with the pastor in which I will need to find out his tolerance
    level for my views. I know that he holds to NDBF, but perhaps he can
    respect and appreciate my view if I can provide him with a reasonable
    theological framework that does not require NDBF.

    I am familiar with the concept that the garden of eden was the
    miraculous
    (supernatural, interventional) exception to the ordinary ecology of the
    creation, but that in itself is a somewhat weak argument that looks like
    gymnastics on my part to get my science to fit the bible. I need to
    articulate a whole theological framework for my view.

    Sincerely,
    Douglas Hayworth

    P.S. I realize that some on the list are themselves of the NDBF camp. Of
    course, I can't stop you from taking me to task about this posting, but
    I'd
    much prefer to obtain the information I am asking for first; then you/we
    can discuss those points when they are presented. Thanks.