Re: ID Science (subtopic 2)

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 14:50:47 EDT

    With respect as well.....

    This "outside of time" notion is widely held and expressed without
    reservation. However, I am persuaded that we are always significantly at
    risk when we speculate about the true nature of God, particularly when
    those speculations lie outside our sphere of understanding and
    experience. In the present instance, I think that applies to the notion
    of God being "outside of time".

    There is certainly a physics paradigm that "packages" space and time.
    With that model, it is not unreasonable to think in terms of inside and
    outside that "package". However there is one observation that causes me
    to be a bit agnostic on this time matter. In our sphere of experience,
    one who creates incorporates in his/her creation substance and
    attributes that are a part of our being/knowledge/imagination. We build
    clocks because which reflect a time component of our existence. We paint
    on canvas as a reflection of our visual system and sense of aesthetics.
    As others have observed, our creations are almost(?) entirely bounded by
    and are a reflection of what we are and what we know. We create out of
    our being and we very rarely create something and then find it does or
    comprises something unexpected and ultimately unexplainable.

    With that in mind, it is not unreasonable to assert with equal
    confidence that the property of time is NOT meaningless in the being of
    God. This is not to say that this inference is a sure thing, and it does
    not even say in what way time is meaningful to God. But it may cast a
    shadow of uncertainty on an assertion that "God is an entity entirely
    ouside of time", meaning that God can view all of time, past and future,
    as a single viewable-to-God landscape.

    Now I admit our sphere of knowledge and experience is limited, and we've
    not talked here about revelation. However I think it is safe to say that
    our "reception" of revelation is not without noise, resulting in less
    than a consensus in our speculations which may or may not be inspired.
    But perhaps more to the point, I'm not so sure that the revelation is
    all that explicit about God being "outside of time".

    In light of that, it simply seems prudent to acknowledge the assertive
    nature of the claim that God is outside of time. I'm not trying to
    convert anyone here, but I think that more than a single speculation
    (recognizing that they are speculations) can be valid here in the
    absence of a present way to discriminate among them with confidence.

    Regards - Jim Armstrong