Re: More on Iraq National Museum Tragedy

From: Lucien Carroll (serapio@linuxmail.org)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 20:15:49 EDT

    The Chinese have a had widespread respect for historic literature since early on, and since the Tang dynasty anyway for calligraphy and painting, but their history is also not without holes, due somewhat as you say, to neglect, but also to intentional destruction. Chinese history of ages comparable to the Assyrians and Babylonians is also largely lost, primarily to Qin Shihuang's destruction of traditional writings. And as with many cultures, it was not uncommon for a new dynasty to destroy the writings of the previous one and rewrite their history. As with Assyria and Babylon, the history of pre-Qin China is pieced together from the few remaining writings and from artifacts that were largely ignored until last century.

    Lucien.

    --
    http://www.linuxmail.org/