Re: Benjamin Wiker on ID (fwd)..Fine Tuning

From: Preston Garrison (garrisonp@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 05:20:19 EDT

    I want to put a question to the group in relation to the argument
    about whether natural theology has any value as an apologetic device.

    Awhile back a friend sent me something he was writing for me to
    critique. It was an extended loose argument for a divine intelligence
    based on detailed consideration of biological marvels like cells and
    vision and the brain. He did not use specific probability arguments
    like Dembski, but the goal seemed much the same -this stuff is way
    too intelligent looking to have come into existence by chance.

    I struggled with the critiqueing because I found that I that I didn't
    have much enthusiasm for his project. When I reflected on why I felt
    that, it seemed to me that, while I have some expectation that a
    person might come to believe in God from their personal experience of
    or study of nature, I have little or no expectation that anyone who
    doesn't already believe in God would have their mind changed by an
    _argument_ from nature. I think I have known at least one person who
    came to faith in Christ by a path that began with scientific study
    leading to belief in a god. But I don't think I've ever heard of
    anyone having their mind changed by someone else's _argument_ from
    nature.

    Anyone know of any example? - best of all, yourself?

    Preston G.