Re: Benjamin Wiker on ID (fwd)..Fine Tuning

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 16:00:56 EDT

    Dick,

        There are at least two formulations of the anthropic principle. One is the Weak Anthropic Principle (WAP), which John Haught describes as follows: "the early universe looks the way it does to physics because otherwise we wouldn't be here to observe it." "In this weak version the principle has no explanatory value and therefore hardly desrves the name of 'principle'." The other is the Strong Anthropic Principle (SAP): again, in Haught's words: "...the physical character of the universe is the way it is _because_ of mind. It is the natural world's impetus toward evolving into beings with minds that has shaped the fundamental features of the universe from the beginning." Mind, then, "is an inherent part of nature and not just an evolutionary accident." (from _Science and Religion. From Conflict to Conversation_). As someone else wrote, "The universe 'seemed to know' we were coming." With SAP, some explanatory value is proffered.

        I would not attach "hypothesis" to this notion, though it has been attractive to such theoretical scientists as Freeman Dyson. While SAP is not a scientific notion, I think it does challenge scientists to consider whether it is so evident, as some hold, that the universe is entirely accidental and purposeless. Those who hold to the latter tend to dismiss any form of the anthropic principle as meaningless. Here, the line between science and metaphysics, as is so often the case, is not all that clear.

    Bob