Re: fine tuning

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@chartermi.net)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 15:08:55 EDT

    From: "Debbie Mann" <deborahjmann@insightbb.com>

    > I disagree with your interpretation on biology. The contention is that
    > leaving the development of life to an untuned or random system means that
    > the conditions just don't add up. In other words God WOULD have to tune the
    > conditions in order for life to have developed as it did within the
    > calculated age of the universe. I believe this is a successful argument on
    > the part of ID, just using indirect methods instead of direct. "Proving by
    > contradiction."

    I'm afraid we're talking past one another. What you describe is not the
    usual ID argument. Let me try to be more explicit.

    I agree that a person could craft a reasonable argument that the universe is
    "fine-tuned" (that is, it has -- or was given -- just the right resources,
    potentialities and capabilities) in such a way that the full range of
    physical structures (atoms, molecules, galaxies, stars, planets, etc) and
    life forms could develop (evolve) in the course of time (about 14 billion
    years).

    My point is that ID advocates like Steve Meyer appear to split this into two
    parts:

    1) the universe IS cosmologically fine-tuned in such a way that the full
    range of PHYSICAL STRUCTURES (atoms, molecules, galaxies, stars, planets,
    etc) could develop (evolve) in the course of time (about 14 billion years)
    and provide a suitable PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT for carbon-based life forms to
    function. This is counted as evidence that the universe was "intelligently
    designed." The ID argument here is FOR the idea that the universe was
    cosmologically fine-tuned for the evolution of a suitable physical
    environment for life.

    2) the universe IS NOT biologically fine-tuned in such a way that the full
    range of life forms could develop (evolve) in the course of time (about 14
    billion years) without additional occasional episodes of non-natural,
    form-conferring action called "intelligent design." The ID argument here is
    AGAINST the idea that the universe was biologically fine-tuned for the
    evolution of life, even if it was cosmologically fine tuned for the
    evolution of a suitable physical environment for life to function.

    I see this approach both as an inconsistent use of the term "intelligent
    design" and an inconsistent rhetorical strategy.

    Howard Van Till