Re: Benjamin Wiker on ID

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 12:10:31 EDT

    >Paul is NOT arguing here for natural theology. He says that people
    >should be able to know God in creation but that they distort this
    >knowledge and worship idols.
    >
    >The attempt to know God from nature, independently of revelation,
    >usually results in the construction of idols - of which the
    >Intelligent Designer or the God who "left his fingerprints all over
    >the evidence" may be examples.
    >
    >So which is it, do we know of God's invisible qualities from nature or not?

    Josh,

    We do and we don't! We do and are left without excuse, BUT, as George
    points out, we universally suppress and reject that knowledge because
    of our fallenness. So in that sense we don't. Even when there seems
    to be some kind of spiritual awareness it is directed to idols and
    false religion. The truth of God's existence and work only comes to
    spiritually dead people by the light of Gospel and the work of the
    Spirit.

    As George notes, seeing Romans 1 as a prooftext for natural theology
    is reading Romans 1 out of context--missing the bottom line of the
    "there are none who seek after God" of Romans 3.

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523