Re: appearance of age, the goodness of God, and MEDIA)

From: Denyse O'Leary (oleary@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 08:48:15 EST

    Debates provide value. They force on the hearer/viewer the fact that a
    choice is needed. They tease out the weaknesses in arguments.

    A church producing a documentary in favour of its views on evolution? I
    know that if my church did it, I would pay no attention whatsoever. The
    church is hardly expert in this matter. I have no way of knowing whether
    the experts it summons are merely the expected house hacks touting the
    usual line, whatever it is -- unless I already know more about the
    subject than the average viewer. In which case I can skip it.

    I would consider ASA a good choice for a sponsor of reasoned debate
    between high-profie, scientifically informed proponents. And even, in
    some cases, merely high-profile proponents.

    ASA-sponsored debates may stand a good chance of media coverage, and the
    organization would then be wise to hire a publicist to help.

    Denyse
    P.S.: The spinoffs (video, audio, book) would help defray the series.

    --
    To see what's new in faith and science issues, go to www.designorchance.com
    My next book, By Design or By Chance?: The Growing Controversy Over the

    To order, call Castle Quay, 1-800-265-6397, fax 519-748-9835, or visit www.afcanada.com (CDN $19.95 or US$14.95).

    Denyse O'Leary 14 Latimer Avenue Toronto, Ontario, CANADA M5N 2L8 Tel: 416 485-2392/Fax: 416 485-9665 oleary@sympatico.ca www.denyseoleary.com