Re: Common Descent: From Monkey To Man

From: Preston Garrison (garrisonp@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 00:36:14 EST

    Snip...

    >J:
    >>-Elaborating on the question I am raising, this may indicate the
    >>range of hosts for a particular virus infection instead of an
    >>evolutionary relationship. The question is, are there any other
    >>ways to interpret the data in general. I am trying to think of
    >>other considerations.
    >

    >>Consider the following from Sverdlov, "Retroviruses and Primate
    >>Evolution" Bioessays 22:161-171:
    >>
    >>"..since retroviruses can cause cross-species infections, and there
    >>are data suggesting multiple ancient cross-species transmissions of
    >>retroviruses in primates."
    >>Referenced articles: j. virol 1995 69:7877-7887, virology 1997 238 212-220.
    >>

    >>Additionally, since viruses mutate much more rapidly when not
    >>incorporated into a host, it is possible that events of viral
    >>incoporation in gametes occur within the same wave of "retroviral
    >>plague" if you will, and that the resulting incorporations would
    >>look different due to the differences in rapidly mutating viral
    >>strains being incorporated, not their divergence due to evolution
    >>after integration (at the same time alot of the mutations observed
    >>seem to compromise viral function....)
    >
    >P:
    >This still doesn't account for the insertions being in the exact
    >same site. Retroviruses just don't have the absolute site
    >specificity that it would take to hit the same place twice with 3 x
    >10^9 places to chose from. Another point is that other insertion
    >elements that show this same phenomenon of being in the same place
    >in different species, retrotransposons like L1 and Alu, have no
    >extracellular transmissible form. There are no cross-species
    >epidemics of L1s or Alus because they have no packaged, secreted
    >form like viruses do. But there are thousands of sites where they
    >have been inserted at the same position in related species.

    P:
    On my last point on the usefulness of retrotransposons for this
    argument, there is a nice review next to the review Josh noted above:

    SINE insertions: powerful tools for molecular systematics
    Andrew M. Shedlock1,2 and Norihiro Okada1*
    BioEssays 22:148-160, 2000

    Of course, the people working on these things aren't interested in
    proving common descent. They assume that was proven long ago.

    Preston G.