RE: Probability or Predictability?

From: Alexanian, Moorad (alexanian@uncw.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 28 2002 - 18:25:50 EST

    When dealing with purely physical phenomena, we can certainly attach
    probabilities to different outcomes provided we know all the possible
    outcomes and the corresponding probabilities associated with each
    outcome. One day we will be able to compute the probability of the
    outcome of any complex purely physical system. However, when it
    comes to humans, one is not sure since humans are not purely physical
    entities. There is a nonphysical aspect of humans that cannot be
    predicted since the possibility of one of us coming into being
    involves living organisms, which may go beyond the purely physical.
    So long as the living cannot be reduced to the purely physical, then
    the existence of any human being cannot be predicted in terms of
    purely physical theories. That is to say, one cannot reduce the
    history of all that exists to science. It is interesting that
    complex systems are in some sense discrete and so one may calculate a
    finite probability for their realization. There is !
    no way that one can have a system of continuum beings. Such a
    situation is outside the realm of probability theory. Moorad