Re: Evolution wars

From: Darryl Maddox (dpmaddox@arn.net)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 16:16:48 EST

    Hello Preston and group,

    I noticed this post several days ago and was intrigued by it and by what
    college teacher consider some of the basic aspects of Dr. Dini's
    requirement, so I desided to write and see if I could get some =
    discussion
    on the aspects I consider important.

    1. What difference does it make?
    I checked theTTU web site and wrote to Dr. Dini. From the web site and =
    from
    his reply it is correct that Dr. Dini is the only person teaching Biol =
    1403
    though he and Dr. McGinley team teach the Biol 1404 class. And if I =
    remember
    correctly there were only 2 sections of Biol 1403 offered and 2 or 3
    sections of 1403 offered. Given a school the size of TTU I find
    that unexpected but I guess it is just the way it is. Also unusual I
    thought was the fact that Dr. Dini teaches only the 1403-1404 sequence =
    and
    one class in lab instruction which I would guess very few if any pre-med
    majors take. But while in might be considered unfair by some to require =
    creationist student to take a biology course from an evolutionist, it =
    seems
    to me to be no more no more unfair than to make a student who believes =
    in
    evolution take a course from a creationist.

    2. They don't need a letter, even have to take a course, from from him.
    They can transfer in their introductory courses and to be a biology =
    major requires 36 hours of biology of which the 1403-1404
    sequence is only 8 hours and the only biology courses a pre-med major =
    has to
    take. That leaves 24 hours of other course work just in biology that =
    must
    be taken to get the BS degree. So it is hardly fair to say, or even =
    imply,
    that the failure of a student to get a letter of recommendation from Dr.
    Dini in any way inhibits their ability to get into medical school. And =
    according to information at =
    htt://www.ttuhsc.edu/SOM/Admissions/brochures/gu.htm only 76% of last =
    years=20
    applicants were even biology majors. Now who wants to stand on the =
    argument that Dr. Dini
    can hinder their acceptance into the med school there?

    3rd. Who would give credence to a letter from students freshman teacher? =

    Why would a student need a letter of recommendation from a person who
    taught them only their freshman class when they obviously had other =
    teachers
    for more advanced classes and what credibility would an admissions =
    committee
    give such a letter with or without letters from the instructors of the
    higher level courses?

    4th. What about students from outside the TTU system? While I am sure =
    the argument is supposed to be limited to students from within the TTU =
    system that is not what it says to by leaving this out you leave open =
    the logical possibility that even students from other schools have to =
    have a letter from Dr. Dini. I'll admit I don't want to make the =
    argument this is what the you or the article ment but the logic is =
    there, and it is no worse than the rest.

    4. The article referenced stinks - my opinion. FACT - It is full of =
    false statements and bad logic.=20
    That is not what I call a "great" article but to each his own.=20

    Now, down to perhaps a more serious subject. Here are some questions on =
    which I would like to see some discussion:

    1) Is if fair or reasonable for a professor to refuse to write a letter =
    of recommendation for a student based on that students belief about some =
    particular aspect of a subject. For instance, would it be fair to not =
    write recommendations for geology students who did not believe in plate =
    tectonics, or an old earth? For chemistry students who did not believe =
    in atoms? For physics students who did not believe in quantum theory? =
    I am reaching on the last two because I don't know that much about them =
    but if people in those fields would like to substitute their own anology =
    to the evolution for their particular fields and then comment on my =
    questions I woul be intersted in their thoughts.

    2) Would it make any difference whether the letter of recommendation =
    was for graduate school or for employment?

    3) Would you recommend for graduate school or would you hire a person =
    who didn't believe in something in your field which you feel is =
    analogous to the role of evolution in biology?

    Darryl