Re: Infant murder in I Sam 15

From: RFaussette@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 11:47:34 EST

    In a message dated 12/18/02 11:28:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
    burgytwo@juno.com writes:

    > The issue is NOT whether God can do -- whatever -- that is agreed upon. The
    > issue is whether (or not) in this particular case God did command the
    > murder of innocents. Those who insist that He did so may, indeed, be
    > correct. But that position suggests an attribute of God which makes loving
    > Him difficult. It also suggests that the killing of innocents in our day
    > (nuke all IRAQ?) may be justified.

    The entire Book of Job is God punishing an innocent man. The key to the Book
    of Job is Job's repentance at the end. Just before Job repents he asks God
    why? and God says (I paraphrase) because I am God. I only see God's
    compassion for those who obey God's Law. Even among the Israelites, those who
    abandond the Law are punished.
    You also might want to consider; in the ten commandments when you see the
    word 'neighbor' does it mean Hebrews only or all men? I think it means
    Hebrews only. how else could they have embraced those commandments and then
    gone on to massacre Canaanites?

    I don't see a compassionate god in the OT. I see Him in the NT. In the OT I
    see a righteous God. The killing of innocents is never justified.
    On another tack, be careful of that word love. whenever I see it, it could
    mean agape, self sacrifice, surrender or submission. Loving God is submitting
    surrendering to Him as Job did because you have no other choice.
    rich