Re: George's reply to Howard

From: RFaussette@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 08:00:41 EST

    In a message dated 12/10/02 1:04:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
    jeisele@starpower.net writes:

    > My point was that you can't take the words at face value. We all
    > (except the in-denial YECs) accept that. To me, the next logical
    > question is "what about the New Testament?" Are these more historically
    > inaccurate "stories" to "make a theological point?" Did Jesus raise from
    > the dead "in a spiritual sense?" If we can destroy the meaning of words
    > in the OT, it is only intellectually honest to challenge the NT as well.
    >
    > Jim Eisele
    > Genesis in Question
    > http://genesisinquestion.org

    Jim,
    I have been suggesting that a darwinian perspective is viable when
    interpreting the OT. One of the principle sources of information I use to
    license my attempt to interpret the texts from a darwinian perspective are
    the words of Jewish philosophers and Kabbalists themselves who write about
    the proper way to approach the texts. adolphe frank in The Kabbalah speaks of
    a secret allegorical layer in the OT. Gershom Scholem in The Messianic Idea
    in Judaism talks of fthe construction of Jewish myths such as the 36 Hidden
    Just Men. In the 36 Hidden Just Men, 36 men support the earth but they are
    unknown to us and to each other. In psychology, such an act is called an act
    of pure altruism for which evolutionary psychologists find absolutely no
    proof in reality. There is no proof that at any time any one ever loved
    completely without getting anything in return. But here we have an example of
    that idea, that we can owe everything to those we will never know and who can
    never be repaid. In a way the Crucifixion is an act of pure altruism, an act
    of love which we can never repay, an act similar in construction to the acts
    of hidden just men, who can never be repaid and to whom we owe everything.
    I don't think we are 'destroying' the meaning of words in the OT. I am trying
    to understand them the way they were first meant to be understood by the
    people who wrote them and have argued them for thousands of years. It is
    obvious that the cosmology and cosmology of the OT must be interpreted. I
    also believe that the psychology and anthropology of the OT must also in many
    instances be interpreted but the interpetations I have suggested are fruitful
    and productive, not destructive by any means. I would never burden you or any
    Christians with an interpretation that could not in the final understanding
    increase one's zeal and devotion to Jesus Christ not because it is my
    specific wish to protect the integrity of the texts but because even in the
    interpretation I have found that the texts maintain their own integrity
    despite my limitations.
    rich faussette

    --part1_e.299fee2c.2b273f79_boundary

    <HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated
    12/10/02 1:04:10 AM Eastern Standard Time, jeisele@starpower.net