Re: Evolution & Identity of the ID designer

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 12:32:53 EST

    RFaussette@aol.com wrote:

    > In a message dated 12/2/02 9:30:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, gmurphy@raex.com
    > writes:
    >
    > > The question of _how_ evolution takes place is of course more difficult.
    > > But we
    > > would avoid a lot of wasted time & posturing if we would agree that it
    > > _has_ taken
    > > place.
    > > Shalom,
    > > George
    > >

    > Yes, why waste time. I would like to draw your attention to two at first
    > seemingly disconnected facts. In the Bell Curve, a study of IQ differentials,
    > an entire page is devoted to identifying the group with the highest mean IQ
    > in the world. That group is Ashkenazi Jewry from Eastern Europe with a mean
    > IQ of 117. The way this is accomplished within one of these religious
    > communities is by marrying the daughters of the grand rebbes ONLY to the most
    > brilliant of the young religious men in the community (who later become the
    > grand rebbe) suggesting that there is a definite connection between high IQ
    > and breeding practice among Ashkenazi Jewry. Now that you've read that fact,
    > I would like to point out that in the Origin of Species Darwin points out
    > that "as can be seen in genesis, the colour of domestic animals was at that
    > early period attended to," but he does not give chapter and verse. I found
    > it. It's Genesis 28 and 29, the story of Jacob, his wives and Laban's flocks.
    > If you read the chapters carefully you will immediately notice the connection
    > between the marrying practices of Ashkenazi Jewry, their IQ and Jacob's
    > concerns over having a "dull eyed" wife, concerns which prompt him to take
    > retaliatory action against laban by WEAKENING the breed of his flocks.
    > Evolution takes place as a result of differential reproductive success. The
    > fittest survive. If you take selection out of the hands of nature and put it
    > in a breeder's hands, the breeder becomes the selecting environment and
    > evolves the form/traits he chooses. If he chooses that the product of his
    > efforts have high intelligence, he selects for intelligence. Only the fittest
    > are allowed to (survive) be grand rebbe.
    > The conclusion:
    > Jews (on average) are the smartest people in the world because they are
    > descended from orthodox breeding communities who obey God's Law as it is
    > expounded in genesis. The Bible is biologically accurate. This is a known
    > fact among many academics, among them Kevin MacDonald, author of a trilogy on
    > Judaism, and others. If the Jews are indeed the smartest people in the world
    > as a result of following God's Law, what are we doing?
    > rich

    > In a message dated 12/2/02 9:30:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
    > gmurphy@raex.com writes:
    >
    > The question of _how_ evolution takes place is of course
    > more difficult. But we
    > would avoid a lot of wasted time & posturing if we would
> [...]

            While perhaps of interest, this would change the focus of the
    discussion
    considerably. Putting aside a number of other caveats, I would just
    note the following:
            The notion that the ideas about breeding in Genesis 28 & 29
    can be equated with
    "God's Law" cannot be maintained. Jacob is pictured as a good con
    artist who knows some
    practical facts about animal breeding, but also as making use of
    notions that we know
    today are incorrect, like the belief that a child's physical
    appearance _in utero_ can
    be altered by the appearance of some startling thing that its mother
    sees while carrying
    it. As Westermann (_Genesis: A Practical Commentary_, p.214) puts
    it: "There are
    magical notions in the background, but the critical element in the
    case of Jacob is his
    intention to breed for a specific purpose by using his knowledge of
    animal behavior."

                                            Shalom,
                                            George

    --