RE: Design detection and minimum description length

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 00:53:57 EST

    Iain wrote:

    >Yes, this is what I understand as well to be Glenn's problem with
    >the whole thing. You need to have "side knowledge" in order to
    >detect a design (or a pattern, to use a less loaded word). Your
    >maths teacher told you about prime numbers, and that is the side
    >knowledge you need to detect a pattern in a sufficiently long
    >sequence of coin-tosses that is based on prime numbers (e.g. "The
    >Nth toss is heads if N is the product of exactly two primes,
    >otherwise it is tails"). Of course you need to know about prime
    >numbers to get this pattern. But I don't see that as equivalent
    >to someone telling you that this particular pattern was designed.
    >Your teacher told you about prime numbers, and then you used your
    >own intelligence to detect the pattern based on primes.
    >
    >Dembski also addresses this point in "No Free Lunch" (p63):
    >
    >"The SETI researchers [in the film Contact] who inferred that an
    >extraterrestrial intelligence was communicating with them needed
    >to know about prime numbers before they could ascertain that an
    >incoming sequence of radio signals representing an ascending
    >sequence of prime numbers was in fact just that and therefore due
    >to another intelligence. A design inference is one intelligence
    >inferring the activity of another intelligence by the judicious
    >exploitation of background knowledge".
    >
    >I really can't (sorry, Glenn), see any problem with this, and how
    >one can go from this to saying that the method has failed because
    >the researchers had to be told it was designed.

    Let me try in another manner. If I correlate two sequences and get a
    correlation coefficient of .9, my personal state of knowledge isn't what is
    telling me that the sequences are quite similar. The math is telling me. If
    I run a Fourier transform and find that the highest periodicity of a
    sequence is 50 cycles/second, then it isn't my personal state of knowledge
    which tells me that. It is the math. These two procedures allow conclusions
    to be made without any reference to the personal state of knowledge I have
    prior to running the programs. They are objective.

    But Dembski's method doesn't have a similar mathematical procedure. It is
    personal knowledge alone which decides whether something is designed. And
    when applied to living systems, it means that those who personally KNOW God
    created the world, will see the systems as designed and those who don't know
    God created the world will see them as not designed. The method will lead
    to no change in the consensus of scientific thought whatsoever. On the
    other hand, if Dembski had some objective correlation coefficient of design,
    it would be objective and no one could argue with it. As it is, he isn't
    even in the realm of science.

    personal stories of struggle