Distance of spiral nebulae

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 17:28:45 EST

    Hi Glenn

    There were two issues: 1) whether the faint points of light in the spiral
    nebulae were stars and 2) how far they were.

    From my brief reading on the subject, William Parsons, the 3rd earl of Rosse
    demonstrated the spiral nature of some nebulae. He speculated that the points
    of light were stars first with M51 in 1850, and some of his drawings show
    stars. Before we criticise Whewell for disputing this in 1853 we need to know
    how accepted these observations were. The fact that Shapley could argue in 1920
    that spiral nebulae were gas clouds suggests that they were contentious.
    Remember that the observations were visual, recorded by sketches, under poor
    conditions, Ireland is one of the worst places to put a large telescope (wet
    climate, low altitude). There is an interesting web page on Birr Castle at
    http://www.birrcastle.com/birr/astronomy/astframes.html and on Parsons at
    http://seds.lpl.arizona.edu/messier/xtra/Bios/rosse.html

    The issue was resolved by Curtis in 1920 when the light from spiral nebulae was
    shown as spectroscopically identical with starlight and quite different from
    emission nebulae. For the history of the great debate see
    http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/diamond_jubilee/debate_1920.html

    Until the distance to spiral nebulae could be resolved the question became how
    far these spiral nebulae were. Were they galaxies similar in size to ours or
    clusters of faint stars. Their distance could not be resolved using the H-R
    diagram as the stars were too faint and too close together to resolve
    individually using the spectroscope. This is where Henrietta Leavitt's work on
    using Cephid variables proved decisive when applied by Edwin Hubble to M31 in
    1923 (see previous web reference).

    Although Parsons was correct, his observations were controversial and not
    vindicated for 70 years. While celebrating Parson's vision we should avoid Whig
    views of history while. Whewell was wrong, but was he right for good or bad
    reasons. We know he originally was sympathetic to the purality of worlds. Did
    he change his ideas because of his theology changed or because of scientific
    evidence? If you could get his earlier work it would make an interesting
    comparison. But seeing that people like Robert Chambers and Christian Huygens
    were Christians and Thomas Chambers a "woolly" Anglican with deistic tendencies,
    the connection often made between belief in a plurality of inhabited worlds or
    of island universes and atheism, seems weak. But it would be a fruitful area of
    historical research.

    cheers

    jon