Re: P.J. Bowler book

From: Michael Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 04:46:51 EST

    The Victoria Institute is treated as a hotbed of anti-evolutionists which is
    incorect. The VI was founded in c1863 as part of the response to Darwinism.
    Since then there has been a journal and various meetings during the year.

    I have read/skimmed a good number of journals from 1863 to 1989 when it was
    subsumed into Science and Christian Beleif. It's stance is a conservative
    and largely evangelical discussion of science and related issues.

    to give an example in 1865 George Warrington gave a paper , then published
    in the journal, arguing for evolution but was challenged by some in the
    meeting. Tghe general tenor over the 125 years was old earth and sympathetic
    to evolution. In 1920s G McCready Price gave a paper which was shredded.
    In 1940s (1946?) Oliver Barclay wrote a superb paper contrasting evolution
    as science and evolution as religion.

    So the VI was a group of learned and intellignet people of varying quality
    deal with the usual run of Science and Faith issues. Most were "worthy" ,
    some excellent along with some trash.

    On the whole it was a good thing but attracts stupid comments from bigots
    who dont sit down and read the journal.

    Michael