RE: Response to Why YEC posting

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 08:48:25 EDT

    Dave,

    I know that you wrote this in jest but my e-mail to Allen was not intended
    that way. Arguments can be made that some supposedly closed systems are not
    as closed as one had hoped and, therefore, bias one or other age dating
    method. As far as I know, these arguments cannot be applied to Oklo for the
    simple fact that present-day 235/238U ratios cannot sustain a chain
    reaction, no matter how high the [U], unless the fast neutrons are moderated
    by a material that has a low neutron capture cross section, such as D2O.

    Yes, if half lives are not constant but were shorter in the past, it is
    conceivable that the 235/238U ratio would have been sufficiently high 6000
    years ago, but this would fly in the face of physics. If YEC hold to half
    lives that increase with time, they would need to square that with physics
    and apply it to all geochronological data.

    Still, I'm open to a consistent alternative interpretation of the Oklo
    phenomenon.

    Chuck