Re: Questionaire

From: Dan Eumurian (cen09460@centurytel.net)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 05:11:50 EDT

    Dr. Rochlin's "questionnaire" is of some value in exposing shallow
    arguments against homosexuality, but speaking as a fellow satirist, I'd
    have to say it's pretty shallow itself. Of the gays and lesbians I have
    known, dysfunctional family upbringing, failed heterosexual
    relationships, childhood molestation and poor self-image have sometimes
    been factors, and sex roles have seemed to be rather stereotypical.

    over-used (not by you), I submit the following essay. Why don't we agree
    to address these societal problems and agree that heterosexuality is the
    paradigm in the Bible and in Nature? I suggest that this would keep us
    productively occupied.

    Homodisagreebia
    By Dan Eumurian

      “Fear always springs from ignorance,” wrote the nineteenth century
    poet and essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson. The Bible states in First John
    4:18, “The one who fears is not made perfect in love.”

      If a person can be portrayed as unreasonably fearful, then, that
    person would also seem to be both ignorant and unloving.

      The term “homophobia” appears frequently in the mainstream press as
    well as in pro–homosexual literature. The supposed fear of homosexuals
    seems to be placed on the same level as fear of heights, fear of crowds
    or fear of open places–things which exhibit psychological shortcomings,
    genetic defects or unfortunate, atypical past experiences.

      It used to be that homosexuality was seen as a psychological
    abnormality, characteristic of children who grew up with a domineering
    mother and a timid father. But now anyone who does not accept homosexual
    behavior as normal is considered a narrow–minded bigot––by some
    supposedly broad–minded moderates.

      Let’s consider for a moment some of the causes of homosexuality. Along
    with the dysfunctional family setting just mentioned, some people fall
    into homosexual behavior because they were molested as a child by
    someone of the same gender. Others are placed in situations where no
    partner of the opposite sex is available due to incarceration or
    military service. Perhaps some react against the exploitation of sex for
    commercial purposes, macho stereotypes in modern culture, or an abusive
    heterosexual relationship. Neuro–anatomist Simon La Vey of the Salk
    Institute in San Francisco has reported that part of the hypothalamus
    portion of the brain in homosexual men is half the size of that in other
    men. Although such persons deserve love and empathy, I should not be
    labeled as a homophobe if I refuse to endorse the lifestyle to which
    these factors may lead.

      Perhaps they could just say that I have homodisagreebia.

      I do not agree that we need gay advocates telling our elementary
    school children that homosexuality is just an alternative lifestyle,
    equivalent to heterosexuality.

      I do not agree that we need counselors encouraging our high school
    students to adopt homosexuality, rather than helping them to face
    without fear the rewarding challenges of heterosexual relationships or
    singleness. We have no business promoting premarital sex, whether
    heterosexual or homosexual.

      I do not agree that promiscuity, whether homosexual or heterosexual,
    should be seen strictly as a civil rights issue when it walks and talks
    like a public health issue.

      The standard in nature as well as in the Bible is heterosexuality, and
    among humans it works best in a monogamous, committed relationship. Such
    a relationship constitutes true diversity.

      I must expose what the Bible calls sin wherever I see it, and must
    show Christ’s mercy and love to all sinners, just as God has revealed my
    sin and shown Christ’s mercy and love to me.

      If some people don’t think I should be allowed to hold this position
    in disagreement with popular culture, it may be that they’re afflicted
    with a real social disease.

      Disagreeophobia.

    © 2000, Dan Eumurian