is the ASA a small tent?

From: robert rogland (robert.rogland@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 12:24:32 EDT

    First, for the record, I am not YEC.

    I realize that Howard, Paul, and others who have responded to the current YEC thread have had their patience tried sorely by YECs who just don't get it. Apparently they view these stubborn folk as willfully ignorant, stupid, or wicked, to paraphrase a contemporary English biologist we all know. But don't you think you have trashed the YECs enough? They're not even participating to this thread; it seems to me that some respondents are just letting off steam. Even if some of you don't consider the Bible inerrant except in matters relating to faith and conduct, certainly you consider yourselves bound by 1 Peter 3:8-9: "live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult." These words were addressed to those who had been wronged and insulted, as some of our respondents have been.

    Again, I am OEC, not YEC. But one of the things I appreciate about the ASA is that it is a big tent. Too many who have participated in the YEC thread write as if they would really like the YECs to pack up and leave the ASA, as many have. Who can blame them? Is the ASA a de facto gnostic church? Do we resent the presence of the unenlightened? Do we want to be a big tent or a small tent? Tell me frankly.

    Bob