Re: Why YEC?

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 19:14:37 EDT

    If we agree with the YEC claim that equates inerrancy and YEC, then it
    seems to me that we are unwittingly promoting YEC in the Christian
    community.

    Benjamin Warfield, famous as a defender of inerrancy, who introduced the
    use of the word inerrancy to describe his position, was not a YEC. James
    Orr, one of the main contributors to The Fundamentals, was not a YEC. The
    International Council on Biblical Inerrancy, although tolerant of YEC, was
    perceived as being uncomfortable with the YEC position since it gave
    critics of YEC the major role in its discussion of science.

    The current YEC flood theory has a lineage traceable to Ellen G. White's
    writings. To defend this, YEC's have resorted to giving very bizarre
    interpretations to scripture passages that appear to conflict with their
    theory. This is not the approach that one usually associates with
    inerrancy.

    Given that some of the strongest proponents of inerrancy reject YEC, it
    seems that to equate inerrancy with YEC involves exchanging their
    understanding of what that term means for a caricature of it.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado
    Boulder, CO 80309-0395