Re: Why YEC?

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 13:20:10 EDT

    From: "Allen Roy" <allenroy@peoplepc.com>

    I got this from a YEC email list. I thought It might spark an interesting
    discussion. The person's name has be removed to protect his identity. If
    you (singular) absolutely must know who this is, I'll talk to the author and
    see if his is willing to be identified to you.

    [skip much]

          When someone asks me why I'm YEC now, one facet of my answer always
    includes the closer relationship to God the Creator, and the comfort that
    gives. No, you don't have to believe in YEC to be a Christian, but it
    certainly does help one's relationship with God.

    Allen,

    As it stands, this is nothing more than another free ticket for a guilt
    trip. The ticket has been issued by a person--if the person actually
    exists--who doesn't even display the common courtesy of identifying
    himself/herself. According to this unnamed person, anyone who disputes what
    she/he has decided what it means to "really believe" in Genesis is doomed to
    an inferior relationship to God.

    For what it's worth (and I know that will vary greatly from reader to
    reader), my own experience is exactly the opposite. Discerning that Genesis
    1-3 is about theology rather than chronology, discerning that the Bible is a
    thoroughly human account of the authentic experience of God's presence in
    the life of the ancient Hebrews and the early Christian community,
    discerning that there is no good reason to participate in the biblicism
    bordering on bibliolatry that characterizes a major portion of the
    evangelical Christian community, discerning that God has no need for me to
    prop up the biblical text with humanly crafted exaggerations regarding its
    character or authority, I have no need to believe things that are countered
    by empirical science performed with competence and integrity. I have no
    need, for instance, to defend repeatedly discredited YEC chronology in the
    name of Christianity.

    Sensing God's full encouragement to use the totality of my experience and
    intellect to articulate a theology that deals honestly and courageously
    with the questions of this time and place, I feel closer to God now than at
    any time in my life.

    Howard Van Till