Re: Evolution of proteins in sequence space

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 07:36:45 EDT

    >From: george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
    >

    > "Fully gifted formation economy" or something similar should not
    be
    > seen as a statement of science but, insofar as it is relevant to science, as a
    > theological statement to the effect that science should be successful in
    > understanding the world if it operates without invoking God as an explanation.
    > Bert's error here is not scientific but theological, the idea that
    one
    > ought to be able to find evidence of God by scientific study independenly of
    > revelation. If this idea is accepted it has the potential to poison both
    theology
    > and science. If people wonder why I sometimes speak so negatively, & perhaps
    even
    > intemperately, about natural theology, this is the reason.

    Actually I have stated the RFE Principle in two ways -- one version is
    limited to the concerns of science per se, and the other includes some
    concerns of theology.

    1. (limited to science) The formational economy of the universe is
    sufficiently robust to account for the formation of every type of physical
    structure (atom, planet star, galaxy) and every type of life form that has
    ever appeared in the course of time.

    2. (theologically supplemented version) As a manifestation of its Creator's
    creativity and generosity, the formational economy of the Creation is
    sufficiently robust to make possible -- without any need for occcasional
    episodes of form-conferring, supernatural interventions -- the formation of
    every type of physical structure (atom, planet star, galaxy) and every type
    of life form that has ever appeared in the course of time.

    It is form #1, limited to scientific concerns, that I had in mind in the

    Howard Van Till