Re: Wide variation in mankind's genetic makeup.

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 13:03:22 EDT

    Glenn wrote (good to see you back!) about Bert's offhand remark "Assuming
    that the variations arise from mutations." as follows:

    "And assuming, of course, that we actually have DNA and that genes
    actually exist, and that chemistry can actually determine anything useful
    and that humans actually exist in a universe that really is here and
    assuming that what we see isn't an illusion inside a decorporated brain
    which resides inside a fluid-filled jar on a table in a lab on some
    planet outside of our universe. One must always be clear about what
    assumptions one is using! One can easily use your silly sophistical
    technique to doubt anything."

    In defense of Bert, who probably ought to have expanded on his one-liner,
    I don't see that as a fair rebuttal. AFAIK, the concept that all
    variations arise only from mutations, while a plausible mechanism for
    evolutionary change, is only that, and a different mechanism is certainly
    possible. At least conceptually.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)