silicon life?

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 22:04:26 EST

            Someone at church today asked me (apropos a discussion of
    anthropic principles) about something he had seen on TV (no explicit
    reference) about tubular structures which had been found at thermal
    vents in the Atlantic & which were supposed to be evidence of silicon
    based life. I don't think that Si-based life has been found (!) but
    have some vague recollection of a news item which might have given rise
    to this report. Can anyone remember such a thing more clearly?

    Shalom,

    George