Re: Dembski's views on TE

From: M B Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 17:18:49 EDT

    I didn't know Ted was a bird watcher but it has to be said that
    Polkinhorne and Peacocke do look like magpies or penguins when dressed up
    in their cassock and surplice, though Polk has grey on the nape of his neck
    and Peacocke has red, signifying which educational establishment they were
    hatched at. (It is said that one Anglican bishop on seeing his robed clergy
    process into his cathredral said " The See gives up its dead.")

    It has to be said that Anglican clerical garb is not intelligently designed.

    More seriously I totally agree with Ted's comments, he could have added
    many more from CIS in the UK - Sam Berry, Prance, Donald Mackay etc.

    Too often people assume that if you believe one thing e.g. TE, then others
    follow siut as a package deal.

    Once when speaking a mile from Darwin's birthplace in Shrewsbury Duane Gish
    held up to the audience some fine creationists from the past; Galileo,
    Newton, Agassiz, Kelvin particulary as examples to follow.

    So I asked if it was good to be a racist like Agassiz, hardly ever to
    worship in a church like Kelvin, deny the divinity of Christ like Newton
    and sire several illigetimate children like Gallileo.

    He never answered my question

    Michael Roberts

    At 09:50 21/08/00 -0400, you wrote:
    >Concerning Bill Dembski's views on TE as equalling a denial of eternal
    >life--views quoted by Howard Van Till's post--it is pretty easy to find such
    >views (that is, it is isn't hard to find advocates of TE who completely deny
    >divine transcendence) out there today, or at the turn of the century for
    >that matter. However, there are lots of other views on this also. For
    >example, Polkinghorne is an aggressive advocate of personal immortality and
    >the bodily resurrection, and so is Richard Bube. The typical ASA TE
    >(assuming there is one) would also be in this position.
    >
    >I would stress to both Howard and Bill Dembski, that Bill's error here is
    >lack of discernment. If he realized more fully the very significant
    >differences between (say) a Polkinghorne and a Peacocke--sounds like I'm
    >talking about ornithology, doesn't it?--he might not be making such
    >statements. Of course I would urge Bill to become more familiar with those
    >differences, for they betray fundamental differences in their views on God
    >and nature. It simply isn't possible, or helpful, to tar all TEs with one
    >brush.
    >
    >Ted Davis

    Michael Roberts,
    Chirk Vicarage,