Re: Imago Dei

From: Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 15:19:41 EST

    Hi Paul, you wrote:

    >When I argued that Gen 10 says all of the nations and peoples that the
    >Hebrews knew of were descended from Noah, and hence "Adamites", I was not
    >arguing from the words "all" or "every". I am arguing that Gen 10 gives the
    >boundaries of the ENTIRE world as known to the Hebrews at that time and
    hence
    >that all peoples in that world were understood to be descendants of Noah.

    The Sumerians weren't descendants, and they lived in the same region. That we
    know historically. Biblically, we also know the Hebrews were aware of others
    who
    were not in their line of descent.

    In Deuteronomy 2:10,11, "The Emims dwelt therein in times past, a people
    great
    and many, and tall as the Anakims; which also were accounted giants, as the
    Anakims; but the Moabites call them Emims." The Anakims were a race of
    giants, descendants of Anak, who dwelled in southern Canaan. Emims were
    as tall as Anakims, the Bible attests, and were the ancient inhabitants of
    Moab.
    In Deuteronomy 2:20,21, "That also was accounted a land of giants: giants
    dwelt

    therein in old time; and the Ammonites call them Zamzummims; a people great
    and many and tall as the Anakims; but the Lord destroyed them before them;
    and they succeeded them, and dwelt in their stead." Joshua mentions
    "remnant of the giants," "giants," or "valley of the giants" in five verses
    (Josh. 12:4; 13:12; 15:8; 17:15; 18:16).

    Post-flood Emims, Anakims, or Zamzummims cannot be identified as
    Ubaidans, Sumerians, or Persians, but likewise, they do not appear to be
    any of Noah's kin either.

    >Now as to the Hebrew words "adam" "ish" and "enowsh", are you saying
    >1. "adam" is only used to refer to people who are either descended from Adam
    >(through Noah) or are in covenant with God or the context also mentions
    beasts.

    I don't see any exceptions to that.

    >2. "ish" and "enowsh" are only used to refer to people who are either not
    >descended from Adam (through Noah) or are not in covenant with God or the
    >context mentions women?

    That is the gist of what I am saying. Bible translators never saw this,
    and so
    it
    isn't seen in translations to the detriment of interpretation. When 'adam and
    'ish
    appear together, the translators awkward choices out of ignorance made.

    One example of this is in Isaiah. Look at the second chapter.

    Isa. 2:2,4: "And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of
    the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and
    shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it"
    “And He

    shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and
    they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into
    pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall
    they

    learn war any more.”

    When this happens what will be the result? "And the mean man (‘adam)
    boweth down, and the great man (‘ish) humbleth himself: therefore forgive
    them not" (Isaiah 2:9).

    We might have understood that both Adamites and non-Adamites will be
    humbled before the Lord, but the translators didn't understand it, and
    decided
    for some reason known only to God that "mean" and "great" would suffice.

    Look at Isaiah 31. "Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay on
    horses, and trust in chariots, because they are many; and in horsemen,
    because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel,
    neither seek the LORD!" (Isa.31:1.

    This was an admonition to Mizraim (Noah's grandson) and his kin. The prophet
    goes on to say that the Lord will defend Jerusalem and preserve it against
    its
    attackers (Isa. 31:5), and he pronounces judgment on the Assyrians: "Then
    shall

    the Assyrian fall with the sword, not of a mighty man (‘ish); and the
    sword, not

    of a mean man (‘adam), shall devour him" (Isa.31:8). Again, had the
    translators
    any awareness that 'adam and 'ish signified two distinct populations, those
    who
    remained faithful to God and those who rebelled against God, they could have
    snuffed out the creation-evolution debate in 1611.

    When Jacob became "Israel," a name bestowed upon him by his night visitor
    (Gen. 32:24-28), and the Bible mentions Israel during his lifetime, it refers
    the man previously called Jacob. After his death, "Israel" denotes the
    nation
    of Israel consisting of primarily, though not entirely, the descendants of
    Jacob.

    Adam (the Hebrew 'adam) is first applied to the man created in the image of
    God and placed in the garden. This usage should be retained in
    translations.
    For example, "God created Adam [not "man"] in his own image ..." (Gen.
    1:27).
    "This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created
    Adam [not "man"] in the likeness of God made He him" (Gen. 5:1). After
    Adam's death, starting with Genesis 6, a variation should be used such as
    "son of Adam," "descendants of Adam," "Adamite," or "Adamites." There
    may be room for an occasional exception where an extension of meaning may
    be applied to all of humankind. For example, Romans 1:16 uses "Greek" as
    a collective for all who were not Jews.

    "Man and woman" is 'ish and 'ishah. Like toho wa bohu, that we "translate
    without form and void" in Gen. 1:2, it trips nicely off the tongue. An
    expression
    the Thai people use a lot is lao, lao, which means "hurry up" in English. We
    don't often tell people to hurry up, but we might if it was as fun to say as
    lao, lao.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."