Re: What's missing?

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 12:51:55 EST

    Allen & Diane Roy wrote:

    > From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
    > > When Uranus was found not to follow its predicted orbit, some astronomers
    > > decided that something was "missing" and used Newton's laws to discover
    > Neptune.
    > > When there were gaps in Mendeleev's periodic table some chemists searched
    > and found the
    > > "missing" elements. When there seemed to be energy "missing" in beta
    > decay physicists
    > > theorized the neutrino & found it after a 25 year search.
    >
    > There is a difference in asking "Is something missing?" or "Are we missing
    > something?" as opposed to asking "What is missing?" The first two questions
    > are exploratory in nature and are a natural part of science. The last
    > question makes the assumption that we already know whats what.

            There may be a difference but in fact it was the 2d type of question that
    Leverrier & Adams &c in my examples asked. L&A had enough confidence in Newton's law of
    gravitation to say that something _was_missing rather than accept some ad hoc revision
    of that law. Similarly with conservation of energy & the neutrino. That doesn't mean
    that such laws can never be changed - as Newton's eventually was when Einstein
    introduced general relativity. But there again Einstein thought that something was
    "missing" - not something in immediate observations but relativistic invariance was
    missing from Newton's law, as well as any reason (other than just accepting as brute
    fact) for the equality of intertail & gravitational mass.

    > The reason for the exercise we to make us aware of the reasons why we ask
    > the quesitons we ask.

            & one reason a scientist who is a Christian should ask "What's missing?" is
    belief that God created a world which is understandable "though God were not given."

                                                            Shalom,
                                                            George

    George L. Murphy
    gmurphy@raex.com