Re: Surprise

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 15:32:12 EST

    With much trepidation, I enter this fray.
    At 11:08 AM 2/24/00 -0700, John W. Burgeson wrote:
    >Dave wrote:
    >
    >"Burgy wants God to be surprised, as he is surprised, by what he does. "
    >
    >Not quite. I don't "want" that -- I simply see it as a pretty obvious
    >implication from the biblical record.
    >
    >"The only way for God to be surprised
    >is if his knowledge and power are limited."

    Or self-limited. There is a way to unite both views of free will in
    nonlinear systems. God can foreknow the results of someone's life and still
    be surprised. It lies in nonlinear systems. I have mentioned the
    philosophical implications of Sierpinski's gasket before in relation to the
    phase spaces of nonlinear systems. Sierpinski's gasket is a gasket with no
    surface area that has a finite perimeter. It is created by drawing 3 fixed
    points (A,B,C) and one movable point (M) on a plane like this:

                .A
             .M

            .B .C

    Take a random number generator and that gives integers between 1 and 3
    inclusive. If the generator gives 1, then move M halfway to A. If it gives
    2 then move half the distance to B and if it gives a 3 then move half the
    distance to C. After 20,000 or so movements of the M dot, marking each
    location it lands on, you will have created an image of Sierpinski's
    gasket. You can see it at

    http://home.flash.net/~mortongr/sier.gif

    While one cannot know what order the output of the random number generator
    is, i.e. the observer is surprised at the direction the M dot moves. He has
    a 1/3 chance of guessing the direction of each move. His knowledge is
    incomplete. However, the observer KNOWS beyond any doubt that after 20,000
    trials or so, Sierpinski's gasket will most assuredly appear. This object
    unites chance and determinism into one object.

    I submit that humans are nonlinear similar to those systems. With this as
    an analogy, God can know that our lives will produce a particular pattern,
    even though he may not entirely know the way we will get there. Via this
    type of Divine knowledge, God can fore ordain the elect--knowing who will
    and won't end up there, but we have free will and God can be surprised by
    our actions.

    I would go a bit further and suggest that our genetics predetermins much in
    life. There are those anecdotal examples of twins adopted and raised apart
    who do things very similarly to their twin.

    "Raised together, twins are unusually close, sometimes developing
    their own private language. But even when they are reared apart,
    twins show amazing similarities as adults. Twins Jim Springer
    and Jim Lewis, separated at birth in 1939, were reunited 39 years
    later in a study of twins at the University of Minnesota. Both
    had married and divorced women named Linda, married second wives
    named Betty and named their oldest sons James Allan and James
    Alan. More coincidences: both drove the same model of blue
    Chevrolet, enjoyed woodworking, vacationed on the same Florida
    beach and had dogs named Toy."~Heredity: They'll be the Same, But
    Different", Newsweek, Nov. 8, 1993., p. 62

         "I quote from a recent article in Science:

    'When Oskar Stohr and Jack Yufe arrived in Minnesota to participate in
    University of Minnesota psychologist Thomas J. Bouchard, Jr.'s study of
    idential twins reared apart, they were both sporting blue double-breasted
    epauletted shirts, moustaches, and wire-rimmed glasses. Idential twins
    separated at birth, the two men in their late 40s, had met once before two
    decades earlier. Nonetheless Oskar, raised as a Catholic in Germany, and
    Jack, reared by his Jewish father in Trinidad, proved tohave much in common
    in
    thier tastes and personalities--including hasty tempers and idiosyncratic
    senses of humor (both enjoyed surprising people by sneezing in elevators).'

    And both flushed the toilet both before and after using it, kept rubber bands
    around their wrists, and dipped buttered toast in their coffee."~Steven
    Pinker, The Language Instinct, (New York: Harper/Perennial, 1994), p. 327
    **
    "Another pair of identical twins meeting for the first time discovered that
    they both used Vademecum toothpaste, Canoe shaving lotion, Vitalis hair
    sonic, and Lucky Strike cigarettes. After the meeting they sent each other
    identical birthday presents that crossed in the mail. One pair of women
    habitually wore seven rings. Another pair of men pointed out (correctly)
    that a wheel bearing in Bouchard's car needed replacing. And quantitative
    research corroborates the hundreds of anecdotes. Not only are very general
    traits like IQ, extroversions, and neuroticism partly heritable, but so are
    specific ones
    like degree of religious feeling, vocational interests, and opinions about the
    death penalty, disarmament, and computer music."~Steven Pinker, The Language
    Instinct, (New York: Harper/Perennial, 1994), p. 328

            "People find these discoveries arresting, even incredible. The discoveries
    cast doubt on the autonom9ous 'I' that we all feel hovering above our
    bodies, making choices as we proceed through life and affected only by our
    past and present environments....And despite what critics sometimes claim,
    the effects are not products of coincidence, fraud or subtle similarities
    int he family environments (such as adoption agencies striving to place
    identical twins in homes that both encourage walking into the ocean
    backwards)." Stephen Pinker, How the Mind Works," (New York: Norton, 1997),
    p. 20-21

    Even death seems programmed by our genes:

            "There is also evidence in favor of the genetic determination of longevity
    in humans. For example, studies with twins show that genetically identical
    twins on average die thirty-six months apart; their lifespans are very
    similar. By comparison, fraternal twins die seventy-five months apart, and
    randomly selected siblings have an average time between deaths of 106
    months. The closer two individuals are genetically, the closer their life
    spans." William R. Clark, Sex & the Origins of Death, (New York: Oxford
    University Press, 1996), p. 82

    As usual, I have chosen the perfect position from which to be shot at by
    everyone. Start shooting.
    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology