Re: worshipping an oil company

From: dfsiemensjr@juno.com
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 22:52:52 EST

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:54:52 +0000 glenn morton <mortongr@flash.net>
    writes:
    > At 11:58 AM 2/15/00 -0700, dfsiemensjr@juno.com wrote:
    > >
    > >It's like Glenn to describe himself as an idolater and then try to
    > >wriggle out of it.
    >
    > Don't you understand facetiousness? And in this entire response you
    > have
    > not once addressed the issue that we were addressing when I wrote
    > the piece
    > on worshipping an oil company. That is, that your definition of
    > religion
    > leads to the absurd conclusion that an employee is worshipping his
    > company.
    > Which is silly. Working, is not worshipping.

    I did, and figured my response was sufficiently off the wall that you
    would recognize it as written with whatever is the literary equivalent of
    tongue so firmly in cheek as to poke through. As for a straight answer to
    your challenge, I omitted the term "ultimate," which is equally implicit
    in Luther's approach, as George cited it. Because of the nature of
    animistic and polytheistic deities, the qualification is better as
    "ultimate or penultimate source of good ..." Your company is obviously
    only a proximate and derivative source of good.

> [...]
    > can't be disallowed to God prior to our creation.
    >
    > You totally miss the problem of a temporal being describing events
    > that
    > occur prior to time. And God most assuredly was doing something
    > prior to
    > time.
    >
    > The only
    > >way out that I see, in the contemporary understanding of creation,
    > is
    > >requiring that this announcement occurred sometime in the eternal
    > >mass-energy before the Big Bang bubble began to develop. This
    > requires
    > >the deity to be within the pre-universe (or whatever one may call
    > the
    > >state before our universe began), which is a form of pantheism.
    > This
    > >might be rendered consistent and avoid the otherwise inexorable
    > >_consequentia mirabilis_.
    >
    > Yes God was pre-existent to the universe, but he was not part of the
    > universe. God is TRANSCENDANT!!! He was not 'in the eternal
    > mass-energy'.
    > God created the mass-energy. God is PRIOR to this universe and is
    > the CAUSE
    > of this universe. If he didn't exist in the pre-universe, then He
    > couldn't create the universe. And prior to the creation, in my
    > opinion,
    > there was no pre-existing mass energy. Mass, time and energy were
    > all
    > created at the Big Bang. And for those who want to say that the
    > universe
    > was a vacuum fluctuation on a pre-existing manifold which ran amok,
    > we must
    > realize that someone had to create the manifold.
    >
    > Now because God existed prior to the Big Bang, and because he was
    > doing
    > things, we have little way to describe what he was doing except in
    > temporal
    > terms. It is like the square in Flatland trying to tell the circle
    > what a
    > 3d object looked like to him as it passed through the plane of the
    > square's
    > existence. His description was highly flawed.
    >
    > Now, there is no reason to identify the preuniverse with matter. A
    > pantheist makes matter part of God and god part of the universe.
    > THat is
    > not what I am advocating at all. You have really not done a
    > sufficient
    > research job on my beliefs if this is what you think I am
    > advocating.
    >

    > >IMO, Glenn is right in denying that the days of Genesis are the
    > schedule
    > >of production. But his remedy is worse than 144-hour creationism.
    > It only
    > >denies science, but he makes reason impossible.
    >
    > I think you need to listen a bit more about what the view is
    > actually
    > saying rather than drawing conclusions first, and then having the

    Nothing you have written changes what I have said. You still want a time
    before time, which is nonsense. I fully appreciate the problem of
    communicating the eternal to temporal humanity. Even the language
    presents problems, for "eternal" may mean timelessness, time without
    beginning or end, and time with a beginning but no end. With the first,
    which applies to the deity, there can be no before. With the second,
    common to the ancient Greek philosophers, there was always both a before
    and an after to every moment. With the third, there is a before to most
    moments and an after to all. I take it to apply to the life of the
    believer.

    Jesus had no problem communicating the first notion: "... Before Abraham
    was, I am" (John 8:58). The first verses of John are also clear, as are
    the three occurrences of "before the foundation of the world" (John
    17:24; Ephesians 1:4; I Peter 1:20). But the complex temporal patterns at
    the beginning of Genesis do not communicate the eternal (sense 1) purpose
    of God. Indeed, the repetition of "evening," "morning" and "day" make
    their assignment to God's eternity incoherent.

    The day-age and literal day interpretations are not contradictory in this
    way, for they ascribe time to the process within creation. Their problems
    spring from incompatibility with the scientific evidence. The view that
    the days are merely a literary framework for a creation mythos is not
    incoherent, though the temporal references are denied relevance. I
    believe you do not like this view because you want a literal reading of
    scripture wherever possible. This is my attitude. But I cannot escape
    these views by imposing some kind of time onto the Eternal so that there
    can be a sequence of his announcements of intent, for this is eisegesis
    that produces contradiction. There has to be a different interpretation
    which is consistent.

    By the way, I recommend John 8:58 as an adequate response to "God must
    have existed before time." Jesus, as the eternal Son, could also have
    said, "Before time was, I am." This does _not_ provide a time before
    time, or an activity before creation.

    Dave