Re: Fw: Trying again

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 03:11:08 EST

    At 08:44 PM 2/11/00 -0700, dfsiemensjr@juno.com wrote:
    >I may grant that the mountain is "a fellow being." But on what level?
    >Were the Ona individuals able to control the rains and winds? It seems to
    >me that the Olympian gods were just a step higher, essentially merely
    >human beings writ larger. Zeus had a thunderbolt where warriors had
    >spears--a bigger bang because, in Hephaestus, he had a better smith. The
    >heroes were half way to the gods, but were either human or half-breeds.
    >Remember that gods and men were at the mercy of the Fates.

    All I am saying is that Bridges, who lived with these people all his life,
    was initiated into their secret societies, and who should know of their
    religious propensities, disdained the entire concept that they were
    religious. You can, of course, reject his eyewitness account, but upon what
    basis? Your preconception and refusal to believe Bridges? Bridges, being
    the son of a missionary should have had a predisposition to believe what
    you do about them, yet he didn't. What data do you have that shows the Ona
    were religious at that time? Your preconception is not observational
    evidence.

    Their lack of religion does NOT falsify the notion that all men are sinners
    and in need of redemption. All it falsifies is Paschal's claim that there
    is a god-shaped void in the heart of all men that will be filled with
    something.

    I have to go back to something you said in your last note:

    >Your atheistic boss rather obviously held himself as the highest
    >possible entity. Where a Christian expresses his dependence on God (we
    >call it prayer whether personal or corporate), he acted out his personal
    >or racial adequacy.

    Believing oneself independent of God does not make for a religious life. My
    boss did not worship himself.

    from above,
    >Were the Ona individuals able to control the rains and winds? It seems to
    >me that the Olympian gods were just a step higher, essentially merely
    >human beings writ larger.

    They didn't seek control of the weather by praying to the mountain or
    anything else like we do today when there is a drought.
    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm