Re: Fw: Trying again

From: dfsiemensjr@juno.com
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 22:48:46 EST

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 08:11:08 +0000 glenn morton <mortongr@flash.net>
    writes:

    > All I am saying is that Bridges, who lived with these people all his
    > life,
    > was initiated into their secret societies, and who should know of
    > their
    > religious propensities, disdained the entire concept that they were
    > religious. You can, of course, reject his eyewitness account, but
    > upon what
    > basis? Your preconception and refusal to believe Bridges? Bridges,
    > being
    > the son of a missionary should have had a predisposition to believe
    > what
    > you do about them, yet he didn't. What data do you have that shows
    > the Ona
    > were religious at that time? Your preconception is not
    > observational
    > evidence.
    >
    > I have to go back to something you said in your last note:
    >
    > >Your atheistic boss rather obviously held himself as the highest
    > >possible entity. Where a Christian expresses his dependence on God
    > (we
    > >call it prayer whether personal or corporate), he acted out his
    > personal
    > >or racial adequacy.
    >
    > Believing oneself independent of God does not make for a religious
    > life. My
    > boss did not worship himself.
    >
    > glenn

    Please, Glenn, don't twist my words. I made no challenge to Bridges'
    observations. Indeed, his comments on the people who came through and
    "described" the Ona rings a bell with me. Many years back, an "authority"
    on missions came through the station where my folks were working. His
    trip was presented to the constituents in the States as a fact-finding
    mission. But he asked nothing from the people on the ground. Instead, he
    spent the entire time telling them how things were. When he published his
    results, they did not approximate reality, either in connection with what
    my folks knew first hand, nor in what their fellow missionaries reported.

    Note that what I have done is challenge his and your definition of
    "religion." Both of you hold that it cannot be religion without some sort
    of ritual or worship. However, the individual whose god is money does not
    build an altar surmounted by a dollar sign on which he can place candles
    and to which he can direct his prayer. The same is true of the worship of
    self. The person whose god is himself does not hire a priest to conduct
    services.

    George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com on Sat, 12 Feb 2000 08:04:07 -0500 wrote:

    > Whether or not the object of one's trust is "a fellow being" or not
    isn't really the issue. Cf. Luther's Large Catechism on the 1st
    Commandment:
    > "What does it mean to have a god? Or what is God? Answer: A god
    means that
    from which we are to expect all good and to which we are to take refuge
    in all distress,
    so that to have a God is is nothing else than to trust and believe Him
    from the heart;
    as I have often said that the confidence and faith of the heart alone
    make both God and
    an idol. ... _That now, I say, upon which you set your heart and put
    your trust is
    properly your god_." [Emphasis added. Note - the difference in
    capitalization of God
    and god doesn't exist in the German in which all nouns are capitalized.]

    This comes closer in describing the object of worship (with or without a
    ritual), but I would qualify "that from which we are to expect all good."
     I recall a report of a tribe in Africa who engaged in rituals to placate
    Shaitan (if my memory serves me). When the missionaries asked if there
    were not a higher God, the response was that they knew of the Supreme
    Being, but he was good and would not visit evil on them. They were afraid
    of Shaitan and tried to placate him. I believe that it is proper to say
    that Shaitan (/shah-ee TAN/) was their god at least as much as the high
    God. The "spirits" of woods and springs were gods in the folk religion of
    ancient Greece as surely as the Olympians, though the former did not have
    temples dedicated to them.

    If one insists that "religion" be defined in terms of a public cult with
    temples and rituals, then the Ona and atheists have no religion. But if
    one recognizes that a god is anything which is the primary source of good
    and authority, with or without ritual, then atheism, humanism and the
    avoidance practices of the Ona qualify as religions. Anthropologists, who
    adhere to their version of "objective evidence," demand a checklist of
    observable activitiies. Philosophers and theologians go beyond the
    superficial marks to the deeper function. This clearly has priority, for
    anthropology as a science does not extend back beyond the middle of the
    19th century. During the 17th and 18th centuries, anthropology was more
    likely to refer to human anatomy, though the soul might have been
    included.

    There is a kind of parallel here with the attempt, some time back, to
    produce an objective measure of greatness for poetry. The acknowledged
    masterpieces were ananyzed and a formula was devised to compute an index.
    The index was successful in ranking hack work low. But it consistently
    ranked mediocre poems above the great ones. Unfortunately, objective
    measures have a way of missing the relevant when what is essentially
    human is involved.

    Dave