Re: Fw: Trying again

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 15:31:10 EST

    At 10:10 AM 2/11/00 -0500, George Murphy wrote:
    > I think we set ourselves up for lots of inconclusive debate if we insist
    that
    >issues of theological anthropology be discussed in terms of "the image of
    God."

    So what else is new? :-) Sometimes the most inconclusive areas are the
    most challenging.

    [snip]
     Intelligence, or the image of God however defined, are not
    >necessary conditions for salvation.

    Absolutely agreed.

    > Having said this, we can then add that intelligence is at least a
    significant
    >component of "the image of God." Col.3:1 says the new self "is being
    renewed _in
    >knowledge_ according to the image of its creator." The one who is the
    image of God by
    >nature is the divine Logos, the Word or Reason of God, & Athanasius, e.g.,
    saw this as
    >constitutive of the image of God: Humanity was created _logikos_ -
    rational - because
    >of a special participation in the Logos.

    At least here is a partial definition. This is a start.
    > I realize the dangers of such a view of the image - various types of
    anti-body
    >dualism, gnosticism &c. It is important to emphasize that we are
    intelligent precisely
    >as bodily creatures. The imago isn't an abstract computer program.

    To me, one of the fascinating things we will probably see in our lifetime
    is something I read a few years ago. The prediction was made that by the
    year 2525 we might have computers which are as complex as the human brain.
    By then we will be able to see if AI is possible. WHatever the outcome, it
    will have some deep philosophical implications.
    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm