Re: Fw: Trying again

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 16:31:39 EST

    At 04:17 PM 2/10/00 -0700, dfsiemensjr@juno.com wrote:

     I think this also bears
    >on Glenn's problem with non-human hominids. IMO, whatever "cousins" we
    >may have had in the past, all persons now living are descendants of the
    >first man, the first entity to bear the image of God. Empirically, the
    >evidence of this is that all races are completely interfertile and all
    >are religious--though some of the religions are strange and some are not
    >recognized as such.

    I fully agree that all on earth are descended from Adam. But I must make a
    minor correction to the statment that all are religious. I hear this a lot
    but it may not be true. I had a boss who was an atheist who was the most
    consistent non-religious person I have ever known. He knew of my religious
    persuasions and didn't care nor did he find religion interesting although
    we had many conversations about it. He honestly thought it was an
    irrelevancy.

    Beyond that there are the Ona, a tribe of Tierra del Fuegans. Bridges, the
    son of a missionary to them, wrote of them in a fascinating book. I need to
    define a couple of terms before the quote:

     Klokten were novices in the men's lodge of the Ona. Initiates who had
    passed their first exam.
    a joon was a magician or medicine man.

    "I have met white men who told strange stories of Tierra del Fuego, and, as
    far as I could judge, believed in what they told. One claimed to have
    found a mysterious spot in the Forest, where there was a great stone on
    which human sacrifices had recently been made. Another spoke of a cave
    where young guanaco, fat birds and other luxuries were deposited as gifts
    to the gods, later to be devoured, no doubt, by some cunning medicine-man
    or priest. I heard one lecturer solemnly telling his audience:
            'They believe in a god called klokten'
            Imagine anyone giving a talk on the Navy, and announcing:
            "They believe in a god called Midshipman.'
            "According to other so-called explorers, the Ona also worshiped Hyewhi,
    which means a song or chant, and joon, which has occurred too often in
    these pages to need translation here. One authority went so far as to
    prove, to his own satisfaction, that Joon, is directly derived from the
    Hebrew Jehovah."
            "These stories demonstrate how a vivid imagination, combined with wishful
    thinking and the desire to impart interesting information, may influence a
    certain type of otherwise enlightened and educated men.
            "During the many hours I passed in the Lodge, listening to the exhorations
    of the older men, and during the years I spent almost exclusively in the
    company of the Ona Indiands, I never heard a word that pointed to religion
    or worship of any kind; no expectation or hope of reward--no fear of
    punishement--in a future life. There was dread of death by witchcraft and a
    lesser dread of the ghosts of the woods, but not the ghosts of the departed
    dead. Respect there was for individual mountains such as Heuhupen, who,
    annoyed at being rudely pointed at, might wrap herself in clouds and bring
    on bad weather. Fear of death, end of life, may have existed; possibly
    some unexpressed terror of the unknown; but there was no worship, no
    prayer, no god, no devil." ~ E. Lucas Bridges, The Uttermost Part of the
    Earth, (New York: Dutton, 1949), p.429

    Thus it may not be factually correct that all men are religious.
    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm