Re: The Legend of Adapa (Adam?)

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 19:55:51 EST

    Dick has written,
    <<Following is a legend [of Adapa] written in Accadian (language precursor to
    Hebrew) that parallels Adam of the Bible. Of course, it is mixed with the
    stuff only larger-than-life heros can do, but enough of it resonates with
    Genesis that I am convinced this is about Adam himself. etc>>

    It seems to me there are more reasons for thinking Adam and Adapa cannot be
    the same person than thinking they are the same.

    The similarity of their names, their both living in southern Mesopotamia and
    even their similar experiences could just as well mean they are remotely
    related as that they are the same identical person. Indeed, two men with
    similar names and experiences both of whom lived in say southern Florida may
    not be related at all.

    <<Adapa is “created” by Ea, number two in the heirarchy of gods - Anu is the
    father-god in heaven. I know of no other person whom the Accadians describe
    as
    “created.” >>

    Adapa is created by Ea, but not as the first man--even in a particular line
    of men. Isaiah 43:7 speaks of "every one that is called by my name, and whom
    I have created for my glory . . ." and I think Adapa's "creation" is more
    similar to this (as one who reflects Ea's wisdom and is holy) than to Adam's
    creation. I do not see any solid ground here for identifying Adam with Adapa.

    <<Adam was told in the "sweat of thy face he would eat bread" and Adapa was a
    baker by trade.>>

    But the very passage that says Adam would eat bread shows that he was a
    farmer by trade (Gen 3:17-19). Interpreted within its historical context the
    assumption is that the woman would do the baking, not Adam. This contrast of
    occupations indicates that Adam is not the same person as Adapa.

    << Adam was cut off from the tree of life whereby he would have lived
    forever, and Adapa refuses the food and water of eternal life.>>

    But Adapa is offered the "food and water of life" _after_ he sins (by
    breaking the South Wind's wing), whereas Adam is offered the food of life
    only _before_ he sins. Secondly, Adapa's loss of the opportunity to eat the
    "food and water of life" which gives immortality was a result of his
    _obeying_ the command of his god, Ea, whereas Adam's loss of the opportunity
    to eat the "food" which gives immortality was a result of his _disobeying_
    the command of his God. Although there is a relation in both cases to a food
    that gives eternal life, the circumstances of the loss indicate that the two
    men are not the same.

    Also, after Adapa's sin he is taken up to heaven to talk with the Highest
    God. After Adam's sin the Highest God comes down to earth to talk with Adam.
    And, in Genesis, of course, the Highest God is the only god, another contrast
    with Adapa's experience.

    Finally, Adam sins before there were any kings. But, since Dumuzi became a
    guardian in the court of Anu after he was a king on earth, Adapa's sin must
    have occurred after the kingship of Dumuzi, the fifth king in the Sumerian
    king list. This temporal contrast again tells us that Adam is not Adapa.

    All this is not to deny that there may be a connection of some kind between
    Adapa and Adam, but it seems clear they were not the same person. The
    evangelical OT scholar, Gordon Wenham, in agreement with a number of other
    very capable biblical and ancient Near Eastern scholars points to the more
    likely connection between Adam and Adapa, when on p. 53 of his commentary on
    Genesis 1-15, shortly after discussing Adapa, he says, "Rather the writer
    appears to be using and adapting earlier motifs in a free and creative way to
    express his vision of reality….Thus divine truths about man and his
    relationships with his Creator and his fellow creatures are presented in a
    vivid and memorable way."

    Paul S