Re: [Fwd: Re: Baptism: Immersion or Sprinkling?]

From: Richard Kouchoo (rkouchoo@firstdata.com.au)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 23:54:38 EST

    Peter explained what happens at baptism when he said, "Repent, and be baptized
    every one of you in the name of Jesus
    Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the
    Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:38 ). But he didn't restrict this
    teaching only to adults. He added, "For the promise is to you and to your
    children and to all that are far off, every one whom the
    Lord our God calls to him" (2:39). We also read: "Rise and be baptized, and wash
     away your sins, calling on his name"
    (Acts 22:16). These commands are universal, not restricted to adults.

    The connection between baptism and salvation is clear, not only because of these
     passages, but because of other explicit
    passages such as 1 Peter 3:21: "Baptism . . . now saves you, not as a removal of
     dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for
    a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ."