*Physical constants

From: jeff witters (WITTERSJ@ESUVM.EMPORIA.EDU)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 18:41:23 EST

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 Massie wrote:

    >A physicist is a scientist looking for a grant. Generally, they
    >do not care at all what the philosophical consequences of the
    >physics are. This is for some lunnies in another building. Not
    >so in biology where some blatantly insert philosophy and
    >unsupported assumptions and begin with "evolution (meaning
    >evolutionism) is the central concept of biology. Actually, I
    >would like to propose the counter that "design" (meaning God) is
    >the central concept of biology.

    Something smells funny...I think it's a physics snob. Naturally,
    physics, being such a good, pure field in which to work, attracts
    all those who seek knowledge for its own sake (hang the philosophy)
    and biology is what the loonies (philosophers?) do when they decide
    to dabble in science.

    Come on. You sound so well informed about biologists that I must
    wonder from where you got your experience. Textbooks at the survey
    level? Books by sophisticated God-of-the-Gappers like Behe? In
    my field of ecology (really just a bunch treehuggers ;) ) you
    might be surprised that evolution is actually a unifying concept
    there as well. And no, we would not sit around saying, "Well,
    evolution proves there's no God, so I guess it is up to us to save
    this place." Rather, when considering relationships within
    ecological communities we talk in terms of competition, selection,
    exclusion, disturbances as selective forces, as well as centers of
    endemism (as indicative of ground-zero pts. for adaptive radiation)
    as focus for reserve selection. Population biology, animal
    behavior, taxonomy and systematics (ever heard of a cladogram?),
    and immunology are but a few of the many disciplines in biology
    relying on evolution for more than an initial disclaimer to
    frighten off the faithful.

    >Reality is that evolution is inserted in the text here and there
    >almost as a chant to some unknown god but not realy for much
    >explanatory power and certainly and absolutely no predictive
    >power.

    Hmmm. My year of college physics (not just the alg. based) did
    not mention the general theory of relativity more than a couple
    times, and quantum mechanics, per se, never came up. Oh well.

    As for lacking explanatory power, I am really dumbfounded. I can
    only suggest that you might try digging a little deeper into the
    field (beyond BIG survey books and Johnson 'n' the Wedgies) and
    you just might find yourself surprised. Try reading a paper in
    paleontology (one of my side interests), remove references to the
    big E word, and see how much sense it makes. What sort of
    predictive power are you looking for? Power to make predictions
    like Hal Lindsey and the end-of-the-world crowd? I'm satisfied
    that one can make predictions like, if evolution predicts that
    we would find a hierarchical pattern of relatedness within life
    then I would expect to be able to quantitatively measure degees
    of difference in character states (ie, DNA, cytochrome c,
    morphologies, etc.) between living creatures and find they fall
    into a hierarchical pattern. You might check out one of Glenn
    Morton's posts of a few days ago about the predictive power of
    the evolutionary assumption in the oil business. I never took
    that industry to be much of a refuge for philosophers.

    I have nothing wrong with design, per se. I, as a Christian,
    also believe God did it. But to claim God's fingerprints reside
    only in what we don't know (haven't figured out yet) or what is
    misconstrued as mystery (irreducible complexity), then my God
    would be an ever-shrinking God. That, along with producing a
    dead form of science, makes for poor theology.

    Don't let others make up your mind for you. Check it out
    before blowing us off as kill-God cultists and Tom Sawyer
    white-washers.

    Grace and peace be with you. Jeff