Re: concordism/time

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.Colorado.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 11:57:09 EST

    The subject of the beginning of time was discussed long before the
    discoveries of modern science. If I correctly recall my reading of
    Augustine's Confessions, Augustine addressed the question of what God was
    doing before He created the universe. Apparently skeptics of his day asked
    this with the intention of following it up by asking why He didn't create
    it sooner. Augustine indicates that some people answered that He was
    creating hell for those who pried into mysteries, but he disapproves of
    giving such an answer. Instead he says that the question is meaningless
    because God created time along with everything else, and so there was no
    such thing as time before the creation.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado