Re: Exceptional Measures

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 16:49:44 EST

    Gordon:

    Thanks for your constructive comments! I shall attempt to respond to the
    points you raise in the order in which they are given.

    (1) Whilst I accept that you need no numerical arguments to be convinced
    of the truth of God's word, I'm sure you'll agree that there are many
    clever people 'out there' who could do with some tangible corrective to
    their all-too-fertile imaginations! It is my belief that I have
    something worthwhile to say to such people.

    (2) Interpreting 'not unplanned' as 'planned', I'm glad that we both
    acknowledge God's purposeful hand in the numerics of Gn.1:1. I suggest
    it is but a short step to believe also that they are given to accomplish
    some significant purpose.

    (3) You ask whether you can honestly confront an unbeliever with such
    arguments as I have advanced. I am convinced you can - for you have to
    appreciate that the body of evidence is far more extensive than that of
    the example currently under discussion (as the material at the URLs
    below make clear!).

    (4) It would be wonderful indeed to discover a 'numerical test' that
    would 'clearly distinguish Scripture from nonscripture'! But unless God
    has set things up that way - and in a form we are able to understand! -
    that must be little more wishful thinking! I rather think the best we
    can do at the moment is to study and understand the tests that would
    clearly satisfy the SETI scientists. After all, who would be in a
    position to complain if the same tests applied to the Scriptures were
    found to yield positive results?!

    What are these tests? Simply the numerical analysis of signals emanating
    from outer space (or the Scriptures!) that would establish their
    non-random character and specified complexity! Clearly, an ordered
    sequence of primes, cubes, perfect numbers or 'friendly' pairs would
    suffice to establish the source as 'intelligent'. Obviously, in this
    matter we are in the hands of the alleged extraterrestials (or, in
    respect of the Scriptures, God) as to what they (or he) choose(s) to
    transmit. It is therefore necessary to cater for a much wider band of
    'intelligence revealing' possibilities. We might, for example, suggest
    polyfiguracy as the basis of a valid testing procedure, ie the fact that
    certain numbers - represented as a collection of uniform counters
    (circular or spherical, square or cubic, as appropriate) - have the
    ability to completely fill one of two or more polygonal or polyhedral
    frames. In this respect there are just two numbers that are particularly
    prominent, viz 37 and 91. It cannot be without significance that the
    first of these is found to be an abundant factor of Gen.1:1, is a factor
    of both the Lord's Name and Title, and again of 666 ('number of the
    beast').

    (5) The skeptic might be further interested to learn:

    (a) that Rv.13:18 specifies the gematria as a valid tool for exegesis of
    the Scriptures (with the promise of wisdom to the researcher!), and
    offers the uniquely triangular number, 666, as a pointer to the main
    features that God has laid;

    (b) that there are symbolic features - the words of the text being
    echoed by the corresponding numbers; a prime example is the triangular
    form of Gn.1:1;

    (c) that 10, as radix of the denary system, is fundamentally involved in
    many of the eye-catching features that are ancillary to the main thrust
    of the evidence.

    Clearly, these considerations (not available in the SETI context!) add
    further weight to my arguments.

    Regards,

    Vernon

    http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/index.htm