Re: Exceptional Measures

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 18:42:22 EST

    Dave:

    Thanks for your contribution!

    I believe I have answered most of your questions in my reply to George.
    However, let me just emphasise the main points again:

    (1) 'ha eretz' appears as the 7th word of Gn.1:1 - its value, 296; this
    comparatively large number is the HCF of 888 and 1480 - the Greek
    evaluations of 'Jesus' and 'Christ' - nominative case; the numerical
    link between the Incarnate Lord and 'the earth' is surely interesting
    (if not, in your view, 'significant'!).

    (2) When you ask about the Aramaic forms of the Lord's Name and Title
    you appear to be forgetting that the Gospels and Epistles have come
    through to us in Greek; it is therefore to the Greek that we look for
    this information.

    (3) We are in no position to think the thoughts of God. Your comment
    concerning angle may just as well be directed to God's clear preference
    for millimetres in creating the links between A4 and the first 8 words
    of the Bible!

    (4) Your final question appears to be missing the point of my example.
    It was intended to illustrate the connection (significant in my view -
    but at least interesting, surely, to the casual observer!) between a
    simple geometrical construct, the Lord's Name, a numerical absolute, per
    se (the 'friendly' pair), and an important piece of tabernacle furniture
    - the mercy seat - which is associated with the Lord both by Paul and
    John (see my reply to George).

    Shalom!

    Vernon

    http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/index.htm